Bad Art I Am Compelled To Share

Friday, August 01, 2008

Poof!

This is my picture for Illustration Friday the theme is poof! “Poof!” was drawn on a piece of scrap paper with a Faber-Castle 3-H pencil and then inked in with my Gel-Roller.

I like the word poof. It’s a sound that signifies magic. It's the sound of something disappearing.

There’s a slice of cake in front of you, then “POOF!” It’s gone!

You’re in love, then “POOF!” She’s gone!

It feels like you’ll never get over this, then “POOF!” The hurt’s gone.

Some years back I was on the phone with Kiari, the woman I married, we had been separated for a few months and I was having a hard time getting over her. Kiari, who is one of the smartest people on the planet, (Hey, I can pick em. I just can’t keep em.) gave me some advice. Our conversation went something like this;

Me: I just can’t figure out how to let go.

Her: Grab a pen. I going to tell you a secret.

Me: All right, I have a pen.

Her: I’m going to tell you the secret to letting go. Starting with your palm up, I want you to make a fist around the pen and squeeze it as tight as you can.

Me: Doing it.

Her: Now, Turn your fist over and hold it out in front of you.

Me: OK.

Her: Now, LET GO!

I did let go and the pen hit the floor. At that moment I was also struck with an epiphany. All I had to do was choose to let it go.

I’ve tried this exercise several times now while thinking of Gorky and the pen hasn’t hit the floor yet.

Stupid fucking pen.

Has your pen hit the floor yet? Has you left any love?

19 Comments:

  • The pen is mightier than the poof!

    By Blogger Tony LaRocca, at 21:47  

  • What a philosophical interpretation! Power to your ability!

    www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

    By Blogger INDIGENE, at 23:18  

  • Like your work! I love drawing with roller pens! *poof* they are always gone...

    By Blogger gekago, at 09:39  

  • tony larocca: Indeed!
    love

    indigene: (blush) Thanks. :-)
    love

    geka: Thanks.
    Me like me some pens too. I've learned to hang onto them though. In more ways than one.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 10:05  

  • ha! i should try this one.

    By Blogger isay , at 22:21  

  • isay: I might have ruined the secret by telling. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 02:52  

  • no, you can't ruin it by telling :) oh un i am sorry you are in pain :( i lost a different love, my dog Rat so as far as I am concerned this summer blows! how about you love, does your summer blow? LOVE

    By Blogger valerie walsh, at 09:32  

  • Maybe I should try the pen trick & see if it works for me.......

    I happened on to your blog & quite enjoyed it.

    By Blogger ~SugarBear~, at 13:40  

  • perhaps you need to do some drawings of open hands, rather than clenched fists?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03:52  

  • I hope you will be able to "let go of the pen" soon and start to feel better! LOVE

    By Blogger Janet, at 19:13  

  • Yikes! Did it hit your footie? That must a hurt!

    [[hugs and love}}

    -irvine

    By Blogger Irvine's Mom, at 00:27  

  • aww my pen hit the floor alright. rock bottom! hope you feel better after now.. love.

    By Blogger atomicvelvetsigh, at 00:29  

  • I've had to let go of a pen or 2... but...
    the beautiful drawings I made with them, and the wonderful stories I wrote with them before the ink went dry - are mine to keep... even though those pens are long gone.
    [could be worse - could be wearing da pens...] ;-) Love, & love s'more

    By Blogger Dorko, at 15:51  

  • Take the pen and write gorky a letter. Maybe you shouldn't let go of some things...or some people.
    None of me bidness... but if you really care that much, I just wonder if there is a way of winning her back?
    Anyway, either way, my loves to you.
    (This summer has really been a bummer)

    By Blogger LDahl, at 15:21  

  • valgalart: Sorry for your loss Love.
    A lot of my friends are having a summer that blows. Thank God/dess it's over.
    love

    c: Try it. It works eventually.
    Thanks. :-)
    love

    dave wright: That is a good idea.
    love

    janet: I will. Thanks.
    love

    irvine's mom: It hurt my whole being, not just my footie. :-)
    love

    atomicvelvetsigh: :-)
    love

    dorko: Letting go is so zen. I hope I will enjoy the memories too.
    love

    ldahl: No letter, no hanging on, no chance of staying together, no way of wining her back. As much as I would like to. She has made that perfectly clear.
    I agree about the summer.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 12:15  

  • it cannot be this easy.

    is it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19:39  

  • orangefrute88: Ah, but it truly is.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 23:56  

  • I will love you until hell freezes over. Do you love me?

    By Blogger moonandme, at 03:52  

  • moonandme: Until then and beyond my love.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 21:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home