Bad Art I Am Compelled To Share

Sunday, August 16, 2009

My Pitcher

I'm closing in on 45. I live in the back room of my mother's house. I struggle week to week just to make ends meet. I'm undereducated and over mouthy. It would be hard to say my life is right on track.

However, there was a time, not too long ago, when things were much worse. A time when I was living out of my car. A time when I had been living on the fringes of society for so long I wasn't sure how to get back or if I even wanted to find my way back. I'm not sure how, but I managed to find a little job, in a little town and a little apartment to go with it.

With almost no possessions the vast emptiness of the apartment confused me. 1 fork, 1 knife, 1 spoon, 2 bowls, 2 mugs, 2 towels, 2 washcloths, a toothbrush, a sleeping bag, 2 blankets, 3 pillows. The sum of my kingdom. No matter how I arranged things the emptiness remained.

After cashing my second paycheck I decided I'd better at least get some things for the kitchen. I wandered the aisles at Rite-Aid not knowing what to buy. I'd done without for so long it seemed like I had everything I needed. Finally, I settled on a pitcher to make juice and a wooden spoon.

It was another two weeks before I actually used the things, but I enjoyed just looking at the pitcher. I liked the roundness of it, the simplistic design, the sturdiness of it. Sometimes I would just stare at it.

I've never admitted this to anyone, but sometimes, when things got really bad, I would sit and hold my pitcher. The feel of it grounded me, made me feel more human. It helped bring me back from the edge.

I still have the pitcher. I haven't sat with it in years, but lately, I've been tempted.

I don't think this story is part of My Bad Art show. It's just something that's been on my mind. I would love to know what you think.

Are you going to let me know what you think? Are you going to leave me some love?

15 Comments:

  • I'll leave you some lurve ...

    *hugs* :-)

    By Anonymous rinaz, at 12:11  

  • that's a lovely cute you have there. :)

    -cathy young
    http://sexypicsgallery.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Hot Cover Girls Central, at 21:34  

  • cute cat i mean, :)

    By Blogger Hot Cover Girls Central, at 21:35  

  • What do I think? I think you should blog more often. You have the voice and the art and the sense of humour. To hell with the life.

    By Blogger andrea, at 09:08  

  • **Luv**

    By Anonymous charlotte, at 17:02  

  • can the bit of luv i leave here ever be enuff when u must ask?

    i like ur drawing, but i luv ur words. ur words touch and identify a beautiful emptiness. it is no wonder u could not fill the pitcher, it was pure art appreciation.

    btw, now that u have used the pitcher, does it feel the same?

    so, um yeah, hi , and some luv 4 u ^_^

    annalise

    By Blogger Race, at 15:46  

  • Thanks for giving me a smile on a bad day. I love your art and your words xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 04:25  

  • Wow!good post, thanks for share.

    Cats Play Coupons

    By Anonymous balunov12, at 02:03  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22:39  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05:29  

  • I would love to hear how you are doing now...!?!
    I need your bad art!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love,
    LD

    By Blogger LDahl, at 09:55  

  • good love for you....
    have a great weekend ..
    mona & the girls

    By Blogger Unknown, at 16:05  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20:44  

  • Where have you gone?
    We both haven't posted since August....if you draw something, I will, too!

    By Blogger Janet, at 18:24  

  • I have been deeply touched by this. Though younger than you, I have been very near the rock bottom as well.

    - Rahman Majere

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 05:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home