Bad Art I Am Compelled To Share

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Purple Tongue

Gorky and I were heading home from Hayden Island; we had just finished shopping, getting the last few things we needed to finish redoing the bathroom. Some caulk, a drill bit and several feet of baseboard. The sun was oppressive and just carrying stuff to the car made me break a sweat. "It's hot." I complained.

"Do you want to stop at Starbucks and get a frappuccino, smoothie, thingy?" Gorky asked.

"Starbucks? A frappuccino thingy?" I whined. "I want a Slurpee."

"A Slurpee." Gorky said, cocking an eyebrow. "I've never had a Slurpee."

I almost crashed the car. "You've never had a Slurpee? Seriously, never?"

"We were poor, we didn't get Slurpees. We got frozen Kool-aid on a stick."

"That's unbelievable. Well, I'm driving and I'm stopping at 7-Eleven. I just can't believe you've never had a Slurpee." I started ranting. "My God. I grew up on Slurpees. I remember collecting Slurpee cups when I was a kid. We used to hang out in front of the 7-Eleven, sitting on our bikes sucking down Slurpees just before we rode through the dips, or found a cardboard box to slide down chicken hill with, or if we felt really ambitious we would try to ride our bikes out to Vasquez Rocks. A journey we never actually completed. Hmm… maybe it was all that sugar now that I think about it." By the time I finished rambling we had arrived at 7-Eleven.

Gorky just stood watching me as I got my cup and plastic dome lid. I glanced over and she wrinkled her nose. I started filling my cup. I put some blue on the bottom, red Hawaiian Punch flavor in the middle and purple on top. Having not poured myself a Slurpee for several years my Slurpee pouring skill weren't up to par and I slopped some of the purple onto the dome lid. "Aren't you getting one?" I asked Gorky while licking up some of the excess purple.

Gorky added a curled lip to her already wrinkled nose, somehow making it look cute. "I don't know." She answered.

I gave her a look and shoved the overflowing Slurpee in front of her. "Just taste it."

Gorky cautiously poked out her tongue and tasted the overflowing purple Slurpee. Her eyes lit up and she started smacking her lips. "Where are the cups?"

Ten minutes later we're home lounging on the couch in brain frozen bliss. Gorky looks at me, opens her mouth wide, and lets her tongue hang out. It's bright blue. With her tongue still out she says, "Dow meh dour dongue." I stick out my tongue. "Id’s burble." She laughs and finally puts her tongue back in her mouth.

I suck the last few drops of Slurpee from my cup and look at Gorky with a contented smile. She sticks her blue tongue out at me again and I giggle. "Now that's summer baby, that's summer."




I've been meaning to do this post for a while, but I couldn't seem to get around to making the painting. Then last night as I was about to get ready for bed I passed by the table with all the painting stuff on it and became possessed. I just sat down and started drawing on some watercolor paper and then I colored it in with the watercolor pencils. By that time it was 3AM. When I got up this morning, er… afternoon, I wet my favorite brush, spread the paint and then finished the picture by inking it in with my Gel-Roller.

Have you ever had a Slurpee? Have you left me some love?

21 Comments:

  • I definitely remember pink-flavored slurpees.

    We don't have 7-elevens up here in Montana. (at least i've never come across one in 24 years.) But when I lived in california, I had a slurpee almost every day in the summer.

    sooooo good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20:38  

  • Like Gorky, I was well into adulthood before I had a Slurpee. My first time was LAST YEAR! My husband also couldn't believe I'd never had one. I enjoy the Coke ones, but I really love the fake banana flavor, or pineapple ones. Even orange. MMMMmmmmmm! Brain freeze is awesome.

    Now I want a Slurpee. Luck for me there's a 7-11 less than half a mile from where I live!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 20:40  

  • catnapping: Hmm... don't you have like Circle-K with Icees. "The ghetto slurpee" Heh, heh. Of course you also have breathable air. :-)
    love

    kathryn: Right now Gorky and I are addicted to the Hawaiian Punch flavor. Mmm... red tongues.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 00:24  

  • Oh yes, I love slurpees :) We dont have hawaiian punch, but we do have cherry, coke, bubble gum, all those regular typical ones :)

    By Blogger rinaz, at 00:58  

  • slurpees are the best...except for icees, which are really the best...Love you and your purple tongue! XXXOOO

    By Blogger Lee, at 09:42  

  • They're called Slush Puppies in England, and yes, I loved them, all except for the crappy cola flavour. Cola just isn't the same without fizz.

    By Blogger Chandira, at 11:42  

  • I'm not a big fan of slurpees, but I think it's neat that you got to share the experience with Gorky for her first time.

    I am a big fan of Vasquez Rocks, having done a few day-hikes there. Those rocks have appeared in so many movies and TV shows, millions of people probably recognize them, but far fewer actually know where they are and have seen them in person.

    love.

    By Blogger Cindy, at 19:59  

  • I have never had a slurpee, but I'm seriously considering it.

    thanks for the love on my blog. (~_^)

    By Blogger n., at 05:48  

  • Oh Slurpees....mmmm....And a Slurpee with my love? Frozen Bliss:)


    love

    By Blogger Joy Eliz, at 08:07  

  • marina: Bubble Gum sounds a little gross. You aren't supposed to swallow gum. :-)
    love

    lee: Heh, heh. :-) Thanks.
    love

    chandira: "Slush Puppy!" LOL.
    Yummy. I like the fizz too. :-)
    love

    cindy: Thanks.
    Yeah, I used to live really close to Vaquez Rocks. Climed on them a few times too. They are in everything. :-)
    love

    natalia: Try one! :-)
    love

    joy eliz: :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 10:55  

  • I love Slurpee's!!!! They are the best there is nothing better than a brain freeze mixed with an intense sugar rush that sends you Wang Chunging through the streets, striking a pose to the latest Vogue. Whooo haaa, that is some fun. Love it babe, love it!!!

    By Blogger nouseforaname, at 12:30  

  • shroom-monkey: :Wang Chunging through the streets"?! I think you've had enough sugar! BWhahahahahhahaha... ahem.
    Thanks. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 15:06  

  • slurpees.... shudder. Frappachinos; yum.

    By Blogger AscenderRisesAbove, at 06:44  

  • ascenderrisesabove: Hmm... :-)
    love

    scarecrow: 105 Holy Shit! I hope you got some place cool to stay.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 00:02  

  • Oh my gosh! I wonder if you were one of the kids I used to watch hang around in front of the 7-Eleven in our town. I try to avoid slurpees because of the calories and the brain freeze. But oh yes they are wonderful. Didn't need one yesterday, it only got up to about 98.

    Smiles and love
    Babe

    By Blogger Babe in the Woods, at 06:39  

  • PS
    Scarecrow was wrong, it got to 106, but whats one more degree? Right?

    Smacka

    By Blogger Babe in the Woods, at 06:40  

  • babe in the woods: Yes that was me!
    106!! Do you live in an oven? My biscuits would be baking. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 10:17  

  • Oh, that is such a sweet story -- sharing something you love with the one you love for the first time. Never had a Slurpee, but wait till I tell that to my sweetie, I am sure I will be hauled to taste one pronto… will report on the experience. Much love, love.

    By Blogger albina, at 14:29  

  • albina: What!? You're a Slurpee virgin?
    Please let us know what happens! :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 00:29  

  • May have had it once or twice previously. I can't remember at all.

    By Blogger Chuang Shyue Chou, at 00:10  

  • Chuang shyue chou: Oh no. If you'd had it before you would remember. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 20:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home