Bad Art I Am Compelled To Share

Friday, October 13, 2006

Smitten

This is my picture for Illustration Friday the theme is smitten. I drew this picture 11 months ago on a piece of multi-purpose copy paper using a number two pencil, then inking over it with my Gel-roller. The illustration is really titled "Broke Bush Mountain", but it fit the smitten theme so well I decided to use it.

This drawing was the first time I used a pencil, then ink. The pictures on the blog before this had all been quick sketches. I was just doing it for a laugh, not because I wanted to make art.

Then one morning I woke up with the idea for this picture in my head. The image in my mind was strong and I wanted to make sure I got it from my brain to the page in one piece, so I used a pencil. I was thrilled with the way the picture turned out and it gave me the sudden desire to create a decent illustration.

I'm not sure what happened next, I started doing a little art research and soon realized you don't need any skills to be an artist! If you're a charlatan you can get away with anything! I felt I had finally found my calling!

It all became clear after that. I was smitten with the evil plan that had hatched in my brain. There's a sucker born every minute. I could parlay my bad art into millions.
Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

I went on my merry way making ridiculous pictures not caring about their quality at all, but every once and a while, by mere chance, a decent picture would slip out. Every decent picture gave me a little rush. I liked the rush. I started to care about the quality of the pictures.

Then something else happened. I became smitten with the whole process of making a picture. I found myself falling in love with the craft. I suddenly started to care about the art.

*SIGH*

So much for my evil plans, the millions will have to wait. This damn picture changed everything for me.

Are you a big charlatan? Are you going to leave me some love?

26 Comments:

  • What a brilliant memoir! It's worth publishing. Don't forget the illustrations.

    love

    By Blogger andrea, at 18:03  

  • I think I might have mentioned this before...but you definitly need to collect you illustration and put thme in abook!!!1

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19:09  

  • lots of love to you, this is fantastic, as is your story!

    By Blogger murphy girl, at 19:30  

  • I am completely smitten with your illustration

    By Blogger Kim Carney, at 21:23  

  • I'm glad you became smitten!I've always been smitten with your stuff.(the more I say smitten, the more it seems like a really funny word...smitten) LOVE

    By Blogger Janet, at 21:28  

  • nice to see you back on the laugh track! Remember that phrase Smitten Kitten?Love

    By Blogger valerie walsh, at 22:19  

  • very funny! great..

    By Blogger Michelle Lana, at 08:38  

  • my blog started as a place to share the goings-on in my yard. I figured I'd include illustrations...something conceptual, I guess.

    ...but then I discovered IF...and next thing ya know...it's about colour and depth...texture and linework. LOL

    I'm in love.

    By Blogger Catnapping, at 15:24  

  • You really are a very talented political cartoonist. Maybe millions are in your future. Or maybe you could just publish your cartoons as public service announcements!

    By Blogger Jana Bouc, at 15:24  

  • Excellent!!!

    By Blogger steve, at 22:01  

  • Man, you are good.

    By Blogger Kim de Young, at 07:53  

  • I am so loving this.

    By Blogger Designing Fairy, at 11:12  

  • There's an artist in the heart of everyone. You just discovered yours.... Or maybe we are all charlatans! Mwbwhahahahaha!
    Smitten love.... Whatever it means... :P

    By Blogger merlinprincesse, at 16:39  

  • i like your work

    By Blogger Jeannetto, at 00:01  

  • Look up the word charlatan in the dictionary and my name will be beside it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19:39  

  • HA!!!! good one!
    love

    By Blogger Regina, at 22:13  

  • Great illo! I just love your Bush illos :)
    I hope that I'm not a charlatan :)
    Lots of love,
    Carra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 03:28  

  • erlvI loved it 11 months ago and I love it now!

    By Blogger Andrea, at 10:24  

  • just noticed your new icon - creepy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 13:10  

  • LOL! Brilliant!

    By Blogger Amy Zaleski, at 13:24  

  • Beautiful story. Sorry ya can't be a talentless hack anymore. :P Great picture!

    LOVE!

    By Blogger TheyDHD, at 17:50  

  • andrea: Ha! Thanks. Someday. :-)
    love

    mikepflaumart: Thanks. Time and time. :-)
    love

    murphy girl: Aww... (blush) Thanks.
    love

    kim carney: Ha! Thanks. :-)
    love

    janet: Heh, heh. (blush) Thanks Love.
    love

    valgalart: Thanks and yes. Heh, heh. :-)
    love

    michelle lana: :-) Thanks.
    love

    catnapping: Yes! IF affected me too! :-)
    love

    jana bouc: Millions? Maybe after I get out of prison. BWhahahahahaha... ahem.
    love

    steve: :-)
    love

    princess pepper cloud: :-) (blush)
    love

    ronnihall: I am so loving you. :-)
    love

    merlinprincesse: Indeed!
    Bwhahahahahahahaha... eh... eh... ahem.
    love

    jeannette: Thanks. :-)
    love

    detlef: MY GOD! You're hideous!
    Bwhahahahahahahahaha... ahem :-)
    love

    creative kismet: Thanks!
    love

    carra: Thanks.
    Don't we all and thanks.
    :-)
    love

    andrea: Even better the second time around right! ;-)
    love

    ascenderrisesabove: Thanks! Exactly what I was going for. :-)
    love

    amy zaleski: :-)
    love

    whimspiration: Thanks.
    HA! LOL!
    Thanks. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 20:00  

  • I have a hunch you might like this blog, btw:

    http://deadguylives.blogspot.com/

    (not mine.)

    By Blogger Tom Chivers, at 04:54  

  • antonym: Hey thanks for the link. Some pretty good stuff there. :-)
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 11:48  

  • i, 2 am smitten with your work and your take on thingsā€¦

    By Blogger Michael O'Connell, at 15:12  

  • michael o'connell: Aww, shucks. Thanks.
    That's nothing you should see me take off things.
    Bwhahahahahahaha... ahem.
    love

    By Blogger The Unknown, at 22:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home